|   Home   |   The Studio    |   Studio Stories    |   Pilates Press    |   Health & Wellness    |   Nutrition   |

Sunday 10 January 2016

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO LOSE YOUR PILATES FITNESS?




I find that many clients feel like they have lost a lot of their Pilates fitness and muscle tone after just one or two weeks away from their practice. Below I share my views on how long I think it actually takes to lose all that hard work you put in! 

I personally find that dedicated clients who attend classes two, three or more times a week will regain their Pilates strength quite quickly if they have been away from class for around two to three weeks. Muscle memory is an incredible thing and if you are consistent with your Pilates a few weeks off will not drastically reduce your fitness or your muscle tone. The muscle you have gained from Pilates will continue to speed up your metabolism whilst you are not practising. That being said after more than three weeks off your muscle tone will stay to slowly lessen and you may notice little changes in your arms, abs, bottom and legs. So if you do have a holiday coming up, or have just had one over the festive season, don't be scared to get back into class! Yes it may hurt quite a bit initially but the longer you put it off the more work you'll have to put in to get back to your fitness level prior to having a break. 

 Personally I find that if I have more than 3 days off my mid and lower back start to ache and my thighs feel 'heavier' and tighter. My stomach also starts to feel a little less toned. Pilates is like my own version of Yoga; I feel relaxed during and after my practice, I feel stretched out and lengthened even when I've done a tough class and I feel like I am on a natural high! Hence why I can't seem to stay away from the mat, the reformer or the barre for more than 3 days (even when I'm on holidays!). Of course many of us cannot attend classes every 3 days and that is completely understandable; I am just sharing how my body works. 

Clients who attend less than two classes a week, therefore one class a week on average, will see a decrease in their fitness and muscle tone if they miss one or two classes, that is one or two weeks. 

Lastly, we can all agree that the key with any type of fitness practise is CONSISTENCY. If something comes up and you have to cancel your usual Pilates class, make time to schedule another in that same week! Your body will thank you - in the form of some beautiful muscle tone! If you are going away for a holiday or have to travel for work, ask your Pilates instructor to make you a mobile program to do in your hotel room or gym. We want to help you, as we know first hand how hard you have worked to get your fitness and Pilates body to this point! 

x the Premium Pilates team 



No comments:

Post a Comment