|   Home   |   The Studio    |   Studio Stories    |   Pilates Press    |   Health & Wellness    |   Nutrition   |

Wednesday 23 March 2016

HEALTHIER CHOICES FOR EASTER



As I am not immune to desiring some mouth watering chocolate around Easter time I hardly expect anyone else to be! There's something about Easter chocolate that just makes it taste so much better than regular chocolate. Whilst I am realistic that I and most of you will have a chocolate egg or two around this holiday season, I am going to work really hard not to binge or overindulge. I want to enjoy my Easter treats and be able to stop at one, or two or three at the most! Here are my little tips for not overdoing it over the next few days: 


1. Get some Dark Chocolate into you

Whilst I'm still getting used to this acquired rich taste, I will be aiming to buy mostly dark chocolate Easter treats. In an effort to make Easter more healthy, I told my mum several years ago to only buy me and my husband dark chocolate for Easter and she has dutifully stuck to this! If your loved ones want to buy you chocolate, go dark. 70 % or higher dark chocolate is not filled with any of the nasty sugars, syrups or preservatives that milk and white chocolate contain. In addition, cacao (the main ingredient in dark chocolate) has been proven to decrease blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease. Look for a dark chocolate egg, bunny or carrot that has simple and few ingredients, that is, cacao being the primary ingredient, sugar, vanilla and just a little bit of milk. You won't be able to eat as much dark chocolate as you can milk or white and your body will thank you for it! 


2. Swap Eggs for Chocolate Covered Fruit or Nuts

This is a great and fun exercise for the whole family! Melt your chocolate (try to make a percentage if not all of the chocolate dark!) in a pan over low heat and chop up fresh fruit; think strawberries, banana, pear etc. Dip the fruit in the chocolate and voila, you have a healthier desert! You can also do this little trick with nuts. I have done this several times when I have a chocolate craving and I find that using fruit with melted dark chocolate cuts the bitterness of strong dark chocolate! 


3. Buy all Individually-wrapped gifts

This is a good one! I use this rule throughout the year, not just for Easter. When I crave chocolate something ridiculous, I buy myself a small fun-size bar (such as a little Freddo frog) instead of going for the block of chocolate. Therefore I am not left with any form of temptation to eat more (as I do not have anymore!) and I feel like I got my chocolate fix. Give the gift of little eggs to friends and family and to yourself, so that each time they and you have to unwrap another chocolate you have time to think about what you are doing and to think if you really want/need another egg. 

4. Drink Tea 

I often drink peppermint, green or lemon infused tea when I have a craving for anything sugary. It has the effect of filling me up with warmth and energy as well as decreasing my appetite for sugar. After having an easter treat, brew some tea for yourself and enjoy sipping it. 


5. Exercise does not stop over the holidays

Just because you are holiday does not mean that you can stop all forms of exercising! If anything, you should be exercising just as much, if not MORE than you do during your usual week as you are not working! Whilst your usual workout haunt may not be open over Easter (we need a break too!) there are many other options for you. A walk feels so much nicer when you do not have to hurry to work or rush the kids to school straight after. Some Pilates or Yoga on a mat makes your body feel so much better when it is done! Incidental exercise, that is, playing in the backyard or park with your dogs or kids, is so much easier to fit in when you aren't running around town during your work week. 

Have a very safe, happy and healthy Easter everyone!! We will be back in the studio from Tuesday the 29th of March to work off the small amount of treats you consumed! 

x Premium Pilates Studio




image by http://www.mytrainer.com.au/files/nrteUploadFiles/32F102F201283A323A02PM.jpg






No comments:

Post a Comment