|   Home   |   The Studio    |   Studio Stories    |   Pilates Press    |   Health & Wellness    |   Nutrition   |

Wednesday 7 May 2014

HOMEMADE FRUIT & NUT MUESLI


I usually eat my breakfast by 5:15am most mornings and I need something very filling to sustain me for my early working hours. I love making different types of cereal and muesli and this fruit & nut muesli is one that myself and my partner have been enjoying for the past several weeks. You can add different nuts and dried fruit to the muesli, whatever you have on hand will work. For the nut combination I try to use only a few macadamias and more almonds, cashews and walnuts due to the high fat content in macadamias. The flaxseed meal is a great addition to any muesli / cereal, due to the omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fibre and lignans it contains. Serving size ; I usually eat around 1/2 - 3/4 a cup of this muesli with oat milk every morning, however my partner eats around 1 - 1/2 cups. 


INGREDIENTS
  • 7 cups cornflakes (organic if possible)
  • 7 cups rolled oats (organic if possible)
  • 2 cups mixture of chopped nuts (a mixture of cashews, almonds, walnuts, macadamias, etc)
  • 1 cup loosely packed dried cranberries 
  • 1 cup loosely packed sultanas 
  • 1 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup flaxseed meal

COOKING 

1. Place the cornflakes and oats in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring regularly, for 8-10 minutes or until the majority of the oats are lightly golden. Remove from heat and leave to cool. 

2. When slightly cooled, add the nuts, dried fruit, chia seeds and flaxseed meal to the large pan and stir well to combine. Place in a large jar or cereal container and serve yourself between 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups every morning for breakfast. 

Makes / 19 cups
Total Preparation time / 5 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 15 minutes 

x Emily 






No comments:

Post a Comment