|   Home   |   The Studio    |   Studio Stories    |   Pilates Press    |   Health & Wellness    |   Nutrition   |

Wednesday 23 July 2014

PUMPKIN, BROCCOLI & COCONUT MIXUP


I have been trying to incorporate more vegetables into my daily intake recently. It’s been a bit of a struggle. Don’t get me wrong, I do honestly like vegetables, but as they can take some time to prepare I find myself reaching for rice or corn cakes to curb my appetite. And whilst these aren’t bad for you in moderation, I find that when I increase my weekly vegetable intake I build up a fierce immunity to winter illnesses (and also feel really healthy and energised!). As some of my readers may know, I seem to go through food phases and right now its all about vegetables to ward off those nasty winter flus. Because no one has the time for these. I hope you enjoy this pumpkin, broccoli and coconut dish as much as I did…throw in some walnuts and/or another herb if you want added flavour. And don't throw away the broccoli stalk- they taste so good in this dish. 


INGREDIENTS

   1 tablespoon coconut oil 
   1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
   1/2 medium pumpkin or 1/4 large pumpkin, skin & seeds removed and cut into even pieces
   sea salt 
   1 head of broccoli, cut into even florets & stalk cut into even slices 
   1/2 cup gluten-free vegetable stock 
   1/2 cup shredded coconut 
   1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped


COOKING 

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, pumpkin and a pinch of salt to the pan and cook, stirring frequently to sauté, for 4-5 minutes or until pumpkin is almost tender and slightly golden. Add broccoli and chicken stock and keep stirring often for a few minutes or until stock has reduced completely. Remove from pan and place in a medium serving bowl. Place shredded coconut in the pan and cook for just 30 seconds to a 1 minute or until coconut is toasted and just golden. Remove from heat and sprinkle over the pumpkin and broccoli and scatter fresh parsley on top. Serve warm. 

Serves /
Total Preparation time / 10 minutes 
Total Cooking time / 12 minutes 


x Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment